Sunday, October 2, 2011

Athena Tries to Date Part 1 of ?????

OK, so in view of my goals for the year I have taken action and joined an online dating site. My goals in this, at least 1 date per weekend, at least one second date with 25% of the men I meet, and obviously, to have sex.

Draw backs, general anxiety and WTF$#%# am I doing feeling constantly, also, have yet to get my tattoo. For years I have planned on getting the owl of Athena tattooed on me while I was still virgin as a symbol of something that has been a huge part of my life thus far. I have been ridiculously lazy about this, I need to just face the needle and get it over with (am I talking about the tattoo or the sex?!).

Anyways, as I have aforementioned, all the men I have been seeing this summer, I am done with. The ones who I am attracted to are flighty and unemployed, also not attracted to me, and the ones attracted to me, I am most definitely not attracted to. So, bring on the new crop.

So far, I have met with two guys. My first foray was a coffee date with a nice Hindi boy. Now, shame on me, because I met him on the conditions of friendship and not in a romantic expectation. This is me being a coward. He is a sweet boy, but when I say boy, I mean boy. He is tiny, short, and young. Also, he is apparently waiting for marriage to have sex. I am wasting my time and his, neither of us are interested in each other. However, he has a positive happy outlook, and his energy is a comfort to be around, so I made a decision to keep hanging out with him, we may not be a match, but he has a good energy, and I need positive energy in my life.

The other guy is a shy squirrel of a man. He is smart, well educated and traveled, but boy is he shy. We went for drinks the other night, and I must say he is quite cute, but his personality must have been dropped out the window during a road trip as a child, because I couldn't find it for the life of me. I asked him many many questions, but his answers were short and uninformative. We have much in common, but he did not seem to care, in fact, he did not seem to care about anything in particular for 90 minutes. Why is he on a dating site if not to talk to and meet women? I mean, HELLO?! I am here, and I am obviously interested, or else I would not have asked you to meet me, so open your goddamn mouth and say something, it could be the most boring thing in the world, I wouldn't care, as long as there is conversation, that is how to get to know someone!

Everyone, I apologize for that outburst, I do not intend for this to be a place for me to whine and bitch about men. In fact, this has taught me something, I am too shy and quiet myself. I suck at communication, obviously ;). But no, really, I am the worst with verbally communicating my needs and opening myself to other people. Yay! I am making progress!! Right? RIGHT?! ;)

Back to my quiet date, it is funny, it was 90 minutes before I was able to get him to put more than two words together. Then, miraculously, I brought up computer games. Wow. All of the sudden, Athena can't get a word in edgewise!! It was like I hit the start button, he became animated, open, honest, and even kind of funny. Now, I cannot spend the rest of my life, or really even fife more minutes with someone who is that quiet, but I am glad he eventually became at ease with me, and that I could see that side of the guy. Shyness often comes off as being arrogant, something I know to be careful of, I wish others could see how uncomfortable it makes people, but I, of all people, understand how hard it is to open up.

We all have things to work on. I need to work on not being a judgmental ass-hat, and give people the benefit of the doubt, and help them to come out of their shells, and show me who they really are.

2 dates down people! I've even seen the Hindi boy again, so that is one 2nd date for me! We have a few more lined up, Athena plans to have lots to tell.

Namaste, Bitches.
Athena

1 comment:

  1. I love how the squirrel's personality fell out of the car window. If only his parents had installed an RFID chip, inside his personality, maybe they have been able to find it?

    how are things going? I hope things continue to improve!

    ReplyDelete