Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Romance of the Virgin in Film

I gotta say, I love the movies where the shy yet bold virgin meets the dashing hero who sweeps her off her feet. I especially love if they are of different classes or their is a terrible social taboo separating them. Jane Austen is definitly up there.

But the greatest are the random films from the 60's or 70's. Has anyone else seen 'This Flame is Love' or 'The Virgin and the Gypsy'? Completely cheesy, but so much fun. Light and easy, they make you laugh, but there are those sentimental moments where you find yourself embarrasingly wiping a tear from your cheek.

'The Virgin and the Gypsy' is based on the D.H. Lawrence novel, so I am expecting it to be a good movie, but I have not finished it yet.

For some crazy reason I could watch 'This Flame is Love' over and over and over. The plot line is all over the place, and the acting not the best, but their are sweet sweet moments in it.

Even 'The Prime of Ms. Jean Brody' has great romantic moments.

If you know any more, share, share!!

I'm on a hunt!

Ciao!
Thena

3 comments:

  1. What about a movie where the virgin is the man?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like its different for men, it gets to be more of a farce, like American Pie or The 40 Year Old Virgin. And those are definitly nothing like my situation. If there is a movie where it isn't about sex for the guy, and its more about finding the first love of his life, then I would totally love to see it.

    Know any good ones, Max?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might be worth checking out 'Lars and the Real Girl'? Shy Swedish boy is given a blow-up doll as a training girlfriend. Haven't seen it, but it was all over the arthouses, so it's unlikely to play for farce.

    ReplyDelete