Thursday, October 29, 2009

How old were you?

Seriously, how old is too old to be a virgin?

Its gotten to the point that I just avoid the subject with my general friends, and if I am really hounded I've started to lie, but only if no one in the group knows any better. But I never, NEVER tell co-workers, for some reason, even if I am really close to my co-workers, its not something I want people I work with knowing.

Example:

I was at happy hour once with all my work collegues from a school I was teaching at when they started revealing the ages they lost their virginity.

"Oh I was 16!"
"I was 13!"
"Well, I waited until I was 17!"

Then it was my turn, and everyone slowly started facing me and staring me down, like this would be the best piece of information they would ever get me to spill. So, I lied.

"Uh, I waited until I was 23."

OK, its not a complete lie, I was 23 when I first ended up in bed with someone for a hot makeout session in which I promptly left once he fell asleep, it was the closest I have ever come, and probably the closest I'll get for the meantime. Lets say it was just fudging the truth a bit...right?

Well, after I heard their reactions, I've never been so relieved to have lied before in my life!

"Holy shit! you were 23! how did you wait that long!?"
"Geeze! Thats so old to be a virgin!"
"I can't believe you were 23!"

And you wonder why I don't tell the truth about it.

Its easy to get people to believe that I am not a virgin, because they assume that at my age I've had sex. Its just easier to let them believe. Because being a virgin doesn't affect the way I conduct myself at work, it doesn't affect my work ethic, I am a damn good employee, and a considerate co-worker. My sexual activities don't have any role in my workplace. And being a virgin doesn't make me innocent, and it doesn't mean I am naive or ignorant. I am open and adventurous. Just a normal woman, who hasn't been in a situation where she was comfortable enough to have sex.

What about you? How old were you?

Thena

1 comment:

  1. 21. in a trailer. with a guy named memphis. But what are you "losing" when you "lose" your virginity? Besides your value on the commodities market. And your self-respect (see above re: the trailer)

    ReplyDelete